Saturday, December 13, 2008

An Interview with Civil War Sprint Car Series Champion, Sean Becker

By Gary Costa





Costa: Congratulations on your 2008 Civil War Series championship! However, it wasn’t a “gimme” by any means was it?
Becker: Thanks Gary and it absolutely was not. California has some of the toughest competition in the country no matter what track or series you race with, and they seem to be getting younger and faster every year. But this championship was won by this great team that gave me a car to win with every time we unloaded. I could not have done this without them.

Costa: This also makes you the first driver to win the Civil War championship (2008), the Golden State Challenge Series championship (2005), and the Chico track championship (2005). What do those accomplishments mean to you?
Becker: It truly means the world to me. I can’t fully explain how honored I am to be listed with names like Tim Green, Shane Scott, Glenn Boune, Andy Forsberg, Tim and Brent Kaeding. These are a few of the many racers I either watched and/or raced against, that I really respected on or off of the track. I hope that they would accept me into the club.

Costa: On your Civil War championship quest, you picked up 4 Civil War features (2 at Petaluma and 2 at Placerville). Why were you so successful at those 2 tracks?
Becker: Petaluma is a very fast, hooked up, rough, elbows up type track and I love that. I’m sure the people that watch me race wouldn’t assume that’s the type of track that I like, but any time you have to search around the track to find the smoothest, quickest line, it always makes for an exciting race. Placerville is a lot like the Outlaw Kart races in Red Bluff. Quick, tight, narrow and action packed. The third time I was ever in a sprint car, it was my first time at Placerville and I set second quick time at a Civil War race. It just felt like I had been racing there for years thanks to the Outlaw Karts. On a combined note, both tracks tend to get into lapped traffic rather quickly and I think lapped traffic separates the good drivers from the great drivers. I always look forward to the challenge of dealing with lapped traffic and even though I have lost many races because of lapped cars, I know that it is only making me a better driver.

Costa: It really was an exciting championship to follow. There was no holding back. You had to bring your “A Game” every night and “get after it!”
Becker: No doubt. We started the season 12th in points after the first race, battled up to a good size lead only to have it get chopped back into single digits toward the third quarter of the year. That’s the great thing about point championships; they’re typically a roller coaster ride and hardly ever a cake walk. You definitely count your blessings if you can pull a championship out.

Costa: I witnessed “the Shark” in action on a hot Placerville night. During the main event, you actually fell back a bit, but you found something on the race track and you gave a rim riding display I won’t soon forget. By the way, you won that race…
Becker: And I think we won that one with your boss’s motor under the hood too. We blew up two motors a couple of weeks earlier and Mike Sala stepped up huge for our team and lent us his motor and that baby purred like a kitten. He was one of the main reasons we accomplished what we did. We can’t thank him enough.

Costa: In addition to a great 360 campaign, you finished 2nd in Chico’s Friday night 410 championship, 23 points behind champion, Andy Forsberg. Do you feel that there was something that you could have done different to beat Andy?
Becker: I feel like if you had to describe me as a driver, consistency would be a part of the description, and unfortunately we were not that this year. I started the year very slow trying to figure out a new car and when we finally started to put in some good runs, it was just too little too late. Hopefully next year I can have another shot at him.

Costa: What race did you win on sheer determination this year?
Becker: Definitely the Silver Cup. We had to pass Randy Hannigan, Brad Sweet, Kyle Hirst and a personal friend and hero, Paul McMahan for the lead. We had a great battle with Sweet at the end with lapped traffic playing a key role and we held on for the win. That was a very fun race and a great way to start the 360 season.

Costa: I’ve noticed that you keep to yourself and are very reserved at the race track. But once that helmet is on – watch out!
Becker: I am a very quiet guy, maybe a little shy as well, but I’m mostly just a thinker. My mind is always wandering from how I can be better on the track, to music, to sports, etc. I do love chit chatting and welcome any conversations, but you’re right, I’m not usually the one to instigate them.

Costa: You’re such a calculated and talented Sprint Car driver, watching you wheel one of these beasts is very impressive…
Becker: Thanks Gary. That means a lot coming from a fan like you who has an enormous pallet for all things racing. I know I’m not the flashiest, most exciting or even the fastest driver out there, but I will give you my all and will forever strive to be better.

Costa: What are your plans for next year?
Becker: Currently we are planning to defend our Civil War title with the 2sb car and run as many 360 events as we can. We are still trying to work something out so I can run for the Silver Dollar track title again. I really miss running the Golden State Series, but it would be an empty feeling if I wasn’t competing for the Silver Dollar title.

No comments: